Monday, June 19, 2006

What Do You Really Want?

It hasn't been as long as it appears since I've really posted; it's just that I have deleted the past two posts. They really said a lot of the same stuff I want to say in this one, I just couldn't manage to get it right. But now, I think I know what needs said.
The word "want." It means we we desire, long for, are passionate about, or maybe put our hopes in. Usually, we are kind and when we are deciding things like where to eat today or what ice cream shop is the best, we ask whoever is with us what they "want." It's good that we think of others and put them first. But I want to talk about thinking about someone else's "want" in a matter far less trivial than ice cream.
God wants us to live for Him. I think you know that. We are supposed to get rid of sin from our hands and mouths and strive to live for Him. All throughout the New Testament we see lists of sins that will put us in hell, or lists of sins that we know we should be dead to. "Do not steal, covet. Flee from sexual immorality and lusting, from slander and gossip. Do not get drunk, or lie, or murder." And for the most part, we are content to just nod our heads in agreement and try and keep our actions as far away from that stuff as possible. But... there is another thing we are to abstain from that you may not have taken notice of.
Colossians 3 says we are to do away with "evil desires" and "passions."
Now that's getting serious. That means that God isn't just expecting my actions and words to be pure; He wants my very heart to have the right intentions, attitude, and longings about everything that I do. That's crazy, right? He couldn't have meant that even our hearts have to change, could He have?
Then again, what do you think He meant by, "Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God."
And where was the root, so to speak, of sin that James talked about? "But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire gives birth to sin, and sin.. brings forth death." Did you catch that? Sin starts with the very desires in your heart. And from there, it snowballs into death.
I was talking to a close friend about some struggles I was facing. I have a weakness, and I don't like it. She told me that she had some weaknesses too, and one day she realized that she really hated the sin and wanted it out of her life. So she prayed, and really prayed, earnestly prayed, that God remove the weakness from her, and in that particular case He did. I find a lesson in that.
In 2 Corinthians 12, Paul did the same thing. He says he prayed real hard three times that God would take away a "thorn from his flesh," but in Paul's case, unlike my friend's, God said "No." But He didn't leave it at that. He said, "My grace is sufficient. My power is perfected in weakness."
I'm praying as hard as I can that God remove the weakness. But even if He doesn't, I'll keep praying, because my earnest prayer is a sign that I am truly hating the sin. I come to God continually so that He can help me match my desires with His desires. If I am still desiring sin and wanting it, even deep down in my heart, my actions will manage to find that passion that's hiding in the corner. I have to get to the point that I don't want it anymore. And whether God takes it away or not, He has the power to strengthen me to overcome as long as I continue to want what He wants, and not what I want.
Last night, Daniel preached that there was a time in his life where he wanted out of sin and wanted to stay in sin at the same time. I knew exactly what he meant, and maybe you can identify too. But we have to stop wanting sin all together. That's what God desires for us; He knows how much sin has torn up our lives. Jesus came to free us from sin. We're free! We don't have to sin anymore! And living free from sin is better, because that's where we will find "life more abundantly." That's what God wants for us: that we be free from sin so that we can really live.
Look into your heart. Do your longings and desires show that you are still wanting sin in your life? Or are you really sick of it, and ready to be through with it? You have to cut sin off at the root, at the source: your heart. And don't be afraid to do it, either. God's grace is sufficient, His power is awesome; if you seek, you will find.

No comments: