Thursday, June 08, 2006

More Good News

Last night and this morning I was struck with even more "Good News," and I thought that it would be good to post.
So many things were going on in life just to distract and consume my mind and attention. And even though they might not have been bad things, they depressed me simply because they were things to worry about. I woke up this morning and I just didn't feel so hot. I was holding on to the chains of a lot of burdens, and I needed to let go.
Good News Point of the Day #1: God wants us to cast all our anxieties on Him and not worry about a thing. He will take care, and His way is always best.
But even if I'm not "worried," per se, about the issues going on, I still can feel overwhelmed and just wonder how to go on with it all. Where is my joy? Where is my peace? Where is God's love? Oh, it was there; I just had forgotten it.
Here is point #2. No matter what is going on in our life on this earth, there is joy and peace and love in the arms of God. Why? Because even though we are at war within our members about good and evil, even though we feel as "the wretched man that I am," we know that our soul still sings, "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ," as Paul said in Romans 7. And then into 8, he says, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Whoa! No condemnation? But life isn't going well! I'm failing all of the time! God, how can there be no condemnation? You can't possibly be serious.
Look at the man hanging in pain on the cross who took away that very condemnation, and tell Him He's not serious.
No matter what happens in this life, as Romans 5 says, Christ has still brought us peace with God. The storms may be absolutely raging around us, and yet Jesus still calls us to be calm and just rest in the boat with Him. Christians have salvation. Christ said no one can take His disciples from His hand; He later said let no one take your joy from you, too. This world can't touch us. We have redemption in Jesus that fills us with joy and peace and love even if the world around us is only filled with depression and corruption and hatred. What Jesus has brought to us is Good News. Don't forget it.

No comments: