I think that I know what I'll discuss for a devotional thought at the morning Bible study this Friday. I have done this passage and topic before, but I really feel like it is powerful enough to be done again.
Romans 13:11-14 is one of my favorite passages in all of Scripture. Not only does it encourage me to avoid sin and arm myself with Christ's light, it gives a "why." It says to live for Christ, to make "no provision for the flesh," because "salvation is nearer than when we first believed." Salvation is nearer than when we first believed!
What an awesome encouragement! You can think back to when you first became a Christian, and then see how far you've come. And despite any bumps you've had along the way, you can at least say that you are closer to Heaven than you were when you first believed. Time is passing. Life is moving along. With every second that ticks by, with every breath taken, with every step, Christians can know that they are just getting closer to Heaven. Tough times arise in our spiritual lives, but we can still confidently trust that, if our faith is in God, we are always getting closer and closer to final salvation.
And because of that we should live a life of submission to God. We know that we are constantly nearing Judgment and then Heaven, and that God may come at any time, so we should continually live our lives in such a way to be ready.
Always remember: every step taken, at school or work, every mile ticked off the speedometer, every breath, every heartbeat, every minute spent of our lives, just brings us closer to home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment