Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Let me see Your Glory

I talked yesterday about something that I really started praying to God about at camp. When I was sitting on a rock high above the lake and looking into the sunset, surrounded by Christians who were all singing praise to God, it just came to me that I needed to pray. And I prayed, "Let me see Your Glory." I wanted more than anything to be able to look straight into the sun as it was going down, and I wanted in the same way to be able to look in the face of the Son right then.
God told Moses that he could ask any one thing of Him. What an awesome thing to hear! The Lord of the universe is telling someone, "Whatever you request, count it as good as done." What would we ask for? I can almost surely say that what Moses asked for, no one in the world today would have thought to ask for. Moses simply said, "Let me see Your Glory."
And God did not fail him. He warned Moses that no one can look upon His face and live, but He would walk by and let Moses see His back. So Moses was hidden in the cleft of the rock, and as soon as the Lord passed, Moses glimpsed the back of the Almighty, the image of the Divine One. And the Bible says that Moses' face glowed and radiated light because of the awesomeness of what he had beheld.
Wow.
I want my prayer to be the same. Maybe not to see God in as real a sense as Moses did, but I do want to see His glory. I want to be in His presence, and gaze into truth, love, mercy, and peace. And so I echo David when he said,
You have said, "Seek My face."
My heart says to You,
"Your face, LORD, do I seek."
- Psalm 27:8

No comments: